Thursday, April 9, 2009

RECAP!!!

Let’s see if we can recap the 2nd and 3rd trimester to date…

We had a very exciting 20 wk ultrasound where we were both crossing all appendages that baby Jake was in fact baby Jake. He showed off his parts to us to make it very clear he is indeed a BOY!















  • We had a 6 hr preview of the labor and delivery unit at approx 25 wks due to Shannon having a very intense headache that was finally relieved with morphine.
  • Shannon found out she had gestational diabetes at approx 29 wks. Not a huge deal aside from the 4x’s a day finger prick and sugar reading. Of course from this point on all she craved were carbs and sweets. Poor thing!
  • We took three VERY helpful birthing classes at the hospital. I think we are prepared… wait, will I remember how to swaddle?
  • We spent the greater part of 4 months obsessing / planning / arranging the nursery (which probably explains why we couldn’t keep this blog up during that time) We are finally finished and extremely pleased with how it turned out
  • We had 3 wonderful showers where we got so many things for baby Jake. Thank you EVERYONE!!!
  • We stocked up on approx 900 diapers (hey, they say you go through 14 per day)
  • I have had all of the nesting instincts which explain the nursery and other home improvements… Shannon has had the resting instinct which she does very well. Nobody is criticizing that either because she is in fact growing a child!
  • We have been going through this second parent adoption process and had our home visit complete and we are just waiting on baby Jake to be born to go to court. So does that mean I am not officially a mommy at birth? If so, I am skipping all the late night feedings and diaper changes! HA! (FYI – in our hearts I have been Mama B from the moment we conceived)
  • I somehow developed courage at work to take on our unfair policy regarding ‘paternity time’ after birth. I met with the VP of human resources and explained my situation and my feelings that if our hospital is going to recognize ‘domestic partners’ that we need to be included and afforded the same rights when we decide to have children. He completely agreed and is planning on rewriting the policy based on my bringing it to his attention. I felt so proud of myself and happy to work at such a wonderful organization. OH, and they are reimbursing me for all of my adoption expenses because we have adoption assistance! ROCK ON!
  • We probably go and spend time in Jake’s room at least once a week and go through the MANY clothes we have and wonder what he is going to look like and imagine how cute he is going to be in each and every outfit. And when I say "we", I mean Shannon practices sitting patiently in the glider while I show her every last outfit one more time... (THIS NEVER GETS OLD) We do realize we are a bit crazy, please don’t feel like you have to tell us that!

No comments:

Post a Comment